Affirmative prayer is based on certain ideas and spiritual principles. We assume that our minds are expressions of the One Mind, and work in the same way. Our consciousness is a smaller version of Divine consciousness. The conscious thinking mind is the objective mind and the seat of the will: we have conscious choice. We can make decisions and act on them. Our thoughts are pure consciousness. They have power and we can direct them for ill or good. When we think, the inner mind or subjective mind “hears” or receives the thought and acts in such a way to bring the thought into material reality. This process is going on all the time whether we are aware of it or not.
We can make a conscious choice to use the power of our thoughts to create the life we want and more of what we desire. The process goes like this:
1. Acknowledge the qualities of the Divine that we wish to embody: Peace, Perfect Health, Abundance, Love etc.
2. Acknowledge that those qualities are yours, that you are one with the Divine.
3. State very clearly using first person present tense, as if now, exactly what you desire: I am, I have, I do.
4. Release any doubts,fears or beliefs that stop you from having what you want.
5. Express gratitude for all that you receive
6. Release the prayer knowing that it is done unto you as you believe.
In New Thought, the mechanism is the Law of Cause and Effect. Just as there are physical laws, such as the Law of Gravity, there are spiritual laws (or principles). They are mechanical in that they always work! They are impersonal. They work for everyone. So when we release the prayer, it goes into the Law (of Cause and Effect.) The law of causation says that the idea placed into universal substance/ subjective mind is the cause that creates the effect (manifests) in material reality. It always works.